Monthly plant magazine. October
1989/09/01 Errekondo Salsamendi, Jakoba Iturria: Elhuyar aldizkaria
Pepo-oblonga Curcubita. Harvest: fruit.
A cycle similar to that of Kuia (see ELHUYAR. Science and Technology 23).
- Sowing: April-May. Directly to orifice, 3-4 seeds each and on manure; 3 columns under the ground and holes with a distance of 1x2 m.
- Works: When the plants have between 3 and 4 leaves, leave the best of each hole and remove the others. Abundant irrigation. Numerous weeds help keep moisture and turn it into veins.
- Harvest: Collect the fruits before their development and maturation. They are more modest and the rapid collection has consequences of strong outbreak, especially improving production. Normally it is 2 or 3 kilos per m2.
Cucumis melo. Harvest: fruit.
Like any family cucurbitaceous, in the soil it needs a lot of organic matter and never decomposed. Old manure is very good. It also needs heat.
- Sowing: To ensure the heat we will sow in vases sheltered during the months of April-May, with 3-4 seeds of 2-3 cm underground.
- Planting: Prepare holes of 40x40x40 cm, fill the bed with manure and once covered this with some soil, plant it on top. The distance between hole and pit will be 1 m on all sides. Water in depth just planting.
- Works: The main work of melon is pruning. You have to leave between 5 and 6 fruits of the plant and control the development of it. Pruning consists of 3 main parts:– When the plant has between 3 and 4 pairs of leaves, pruning above par 2.– Two pujas extracted above the 6th pair of leaves.– After the fruit above the 2nd pair of leaves.
- Harvest: When the fruits are ripe, the tap that joins the plant begins to dry and when it is released does not carry part of the fruit stuck to it.
Watermelon (like all melon, zucchini, zucchini and cucurbitaceous) needs hot weather, steamy soil and abundant watering.
- Sowing: April-May. Directly in the holes, between 2 and 3 seeds each and 3 meters of gap on each side.
- Works: Choose the best plant from each hole and remove the others. A couple of weeds and waterings early in the morning, never wet. Necessary pruning. In the two or three branches of the plant we should only leave 2-3 fruits. Cut from there.
- Harvest: From the month of August, the fruits should be collected when they are fully ripe. 6 kg/m2 production.
Cucumber and Vinaigrette
Cucumis sativus. Harvest: fruit
That said for all the members of the Kukurbitazeo family serves equally for this climber (see above).
- Sowing: Sheltered (greenhouse) in pots in March-April, to help germinate after a day of maceration in the water. Plant by May.
- Planting: Holes at a distance of 0.5x1 m fill the hole with old manure and plant it on the floor covering it. If they are pickles, they need less room for smaller and smaller fruits.
- Works: They should not be pruned, since the fruits are small. It is important to keep the soil moist, but in order that the fruits are not in contact with moisture, we must place a layer of organic remains (straw, leaves...) or an infrastructure to raise the plant (sticks, mesh,...). Being a powerful plant, it supports few pests and diseases, among which stands the oidium, which is treated with jizales that have as base the breast or sulfur.
- Harvest: It starts around July. If we want a lucido to eat raw, let it grow a little, but in no case let it love. Pick up a little before. Those intended for conservation, with elusive vinaigrette, which has a height of 10 cm.