Value and diversity of STEM
2021/10/19 STEAM-Hezkuntza (Elhuyar Zientzia)
To awaken the interest of young people in STEM disciplines it is important to inform about the value and diversity of stems. Some tips for educators include:
- Discuss the great diversity of STEM professional profiles and their added value to the field. STEM are more than laboratory scientists and engineers: dentist, engineer, professor, geographer, economist, etc.
- Visibility of transversal profiles (humanities/STEAM): STEM professor, STEM translator, STEM artist, scientific communicator… The latter, for example, has been of great importance during the pandemic. Also, report on the contribution of these transversal professions to the STEM field.
- Explain the contributions of STEM professionals to improving the quality of life of people and the environment.
- Breaking myths: Don't you need STEM if you don't work in this field? Doesn't it take STEM to be a teacher? Information
- Recognize that we always give a concrete view of the STEM field, but that it is sometimes implicit and only negative messages are given.