Presented the STEAM diagnosis of Nerbioi-Ibaizabal youth
2021/10/27 STEAM-Hezkuntza (Elhuyar Zientzia)
Education coordinator Elhuyar STEAM, Aitziber Lasa Iglesias, has released the “Nerbioi-Ibaizabal Youth STEAM Diagnosis” at a press conference held in Galdakao. It has been carried out with the objective of knowing the self-perception of young people from the region of 14 to 16 years in relation to the STEM areas. In addition, the differences between boys and girls and their knowledge of the industry of the region have been analyzed. Eleven schools in the region participated, with a total of 573 young people.
The main conclusions obtained from the analysis of results are:
- In general, girls have shown greater interest in many different themes and the interest of boys is much more focused. Many of these topics of interest to girls occupy little space in science and technology, but in the interests of boys it is great.
- The degree of interest in subjects is generally low. Girls are more interested in biology and boys in computer science.
- The difference is also evident in the interest shown to work in the future in STEM: 56.9% of boys and 27.3% of girls say they would like to work in the future in STEM.
- Young people believe that professional STEM are hardworking, wise, clear, patiently and orderly people. Some of these characteristics are usual adjectives to describe good students. The fact that many young people associate work in these jobs in a long, demanding and difficult learning process means that the choice of other studies is widened.
- Regarding future work in STEM, girls and boys perceive different degrees of competence: 56.9% of boys and 31.4% of girls are working in this sector.
- Approximately 50% of girls and 20% of boys believe that women and men working in the STEM field work in different working conditions. Girls have a more optimistic view of working conditions in the region.
- Approximately 40% of the young population reported not knowing the Nerbioi-Ibaizabal industry and, in general, the boys expressed more words of positive connotation than the girls suggested by the region industry. Consequently, the children have better valued the work in it.
In general, the results of the study show that knowledge of STEM activity in the region is low and that girls have a lower scientific-technological vocation than boys.
All the results of the questionnaire have been collected in the “Nerbioi-Ibaizabal STEAM Diagnosis”.
Gai honi buruzko eduki gehiago
Elhuyarrek garatutako teknologia